Monday, April 8, 2013

Put Me In Coach, I'm Ready To Pray!

     On the threshold of a busy season of ministry I get the same kind of feeling I had as freshman in college coming to my first (tryout) soccer practice. "Am I good enough to make the team? Will I be in way over my head here and embarrass myself?" Self-doubt, based in old insecurities, was the source of such questions, and without faith in Jesus Christ, the only way to find out the answers was to forge ahead and give it my best shot.           

     Looking at the immediate future there are 25 men who will be looking to me (and our other staff members) for sport and spiritual direction as they try to make the most of the talent that God has given them, to grow closer to Christ through their participation in the Seahorse PDL team, and to take steps in ministry in the environment of the sport they love. 

     Though it's 40 years removed from that first college tryout, the feelings/questions are similar as I enter this season. My frame of reference, however, is completely different. I now recognize the questions as coming from the accuser, the father of lies, who fears the spiritual growth that will take place in these 25 young men (and the resulting impact for the Kingdom through their lives), and will do everything in his power to thwart it. And the answers to those questions no longer come from self-confidence and personal effort, but from the "Lord of the harvest" who has sent workers into the field, and who reminds them, "I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing," and who encourages them, "And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."

     If you one of those who regularly says, "Put me in Coach, I'm ready to pray!" please lift up our staff that we might stay close to the Vine, relying on Him to bear fruit through us.

Game On!

No comments:

Post a Comment